Bluetooth Transmitter And Receiver With A Vintage Amp

Bluetooth Connectivity, The Good

There is one component that was missing from my vintage amplifier and this was Bluetooth. Well, you know, one needs Bluetooth. Connectivity with wireless devices is a great asset in our day and age. Of course there are some drawbacks, but I'll get back to that.

First let talk about this little device I purchased a little while ago. Made by MPOW, it connect my amplifier to my computer or to my headphones, wirelessly. It is a rectangular piece of plastic containing a circuit that makes your vintage amplifier able to transmit or to receive. It is powered from the wall outlet, but can also hold a charge for a few days without being plugged in. I keep mine permanently plugged in.

These functions can be toggled, It can either receive or transmit. Currently, I have it connected to my wireless headphones which I use all the time in the apartment. Keep in mind this is only one of such devices on the market, I just happened to get this one, the price/quality value was good.

The signal from my vintage 70's amplifier is transmitted to my wireless headphones. Wonderful! My computer is hard wired to my tube buffer which is, in turn, connected my amplifier. Who says there is a generational communication gap? None here...



Bluetooth Connectivity, The Not So Good 

Delay

There are a few clouds in this sunny scene. One is delay. I takes a fraction of a second for the circuit to be completed. This is irrelevant in the case of music but when video is involved it may be a little disgruntling. 

Depending on the headphones type connected, this delay can vary from hardly noticeable to frankly annoying when it comes to synching sound and picture.

Cut-off

The other aspect of unpleasantness in this magical union is signal loss, or cut-off. This may occur when the device, in this case headphone moves out of range, or nearly out of range of the transmitter. 

The signal loss only occurs obviously with mobile devices like headphones or in the case of transmitting to the amp, a phone or tablet for example.

Conclusion

If you need your computer, or any Bluetooth device, to send music to your vintage amplifier wirelessly or wish to receive a signal from your vintage amp, then this type of transmitter in a blessing. With a few caveats, it rocks!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing The Fabric Of Your Vintage Speakers And Changing The Surrounds

Akai EA-G40 Stereo Graphic Equalizer